Saturday, March 3, 2012

Letter to 'Big Mom'

My sister's Mother-in-law wrote this precious letter to our sweet Grandma the day after her funeral. I came across this letter today....I'll keep it forever. It makes me cry every time I read it. This past January marks 4 years that she passed away. I miss her so much.

January 13, 2008

Dear Sister Shaw,

I knew you as an acquaintance...until yesterday.
I knew you as a fellow laborer...until yesterday.
I knew you as our daughter-in-law's "Big Mom"...until yesterday.

Yesterday, I learned to know you as a saint of God who has fought the fight and gone on to claim her reward.

Yesterday, I learned to know you as a loving wife who put her husband's needs above everyone else's...except the Lord Jesus Christ.

Yesterday, I learned to know you as a mother and grandmother who successfully passed on a heritage that is rich beyond anything this world has to offer.

Yesterday, I learned to know you as a lover of people...a lover of souls...who prayed diligently for those she loved.

Yesterday, I learned to know you as a servant of God who is now blessed to hear those words we all long to hear some day..."Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant!"

Era Belle Shaw (I mean no disrespect by using your name instead of the more respectful, Sister), I am writing this to you with no knowledge of your awareness. I like to believe that after we leave this life, God allows us to see some of the impact our lives have made on others.

Era Belle Shaw, I am writing this to you because you are changing my life.

Era Belle Shaw, I am writing this to you because you will never be forgotten.

Era Belle Shaw, I am writing this to you because you have motivated me to make some fresh commitments in my life to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus, I commit to loving souls more than I love myself.
Jesus, I commit to loving my soul mate more than ever and letting him know he comes first.
Jesus, I commit to making more memories with my children and grandchildren.
Jesus, I commit to loving the ministry more...and letting them know that I do.
Jesus, I commit to praying more diligently for those I love.
Jesus, I commit to rearranging my priorities so my time is yours to use.
Jesus, I commit to learn how to smile unceasingly.
Jesus, I commit to living a life that will live on after my life is over.

Era Belle Shaw, this is written as yet another testimony to a life well lived...that will continue to live on in those of us you have touched...even after your life on earth has ended.

Thank You, Era Belle Shaw.

Kathie H.


I read this letter with tears in my eyes. I miss this godly lady so much. Someone who put others before herself. Who loved people and someone who LIT UP when you walked in the room. Who loved giving you hugs and making sure you had everything you needed and more when you were in their home. Someone who always gave God the glory. She's been in Heaven now for 4 years. I only hope that I can be half the person she was, one day. I love you, Big Mom!

No comments: